Teacher Training Program: New Text beginning in 2023 Universal Compassion
Modern Buddhism and Meditation Study Program in Albuquerque
There will be an Introduction to TTP class on Monday, Feb. 20 at 6pm. Please contact [email protected] if you plan to attend. This is a special opportunity to join the Teacher Training Program at KMC New Mexico
The purpose of the Teacher Training Program (TTP) is to provide an extensive presentation of particular subjects of Mahayana Buddhism to enable practitioners to deepen their knowledge and experience of Buddhism, and to train as qualified Teachers of Modern Buddhism. This is a perfect opportunity for those who have been studying in Foundation Program or STTP program to become part of this dedicated and vibrant TTP community, whose sole purpose is to bring benefit to others through teaching and being a positive example of how Buddha’s teachings can bring deep inner peace and solve our human problems.
If you are interested in this study program or would like more information, please email [email protected]
WHAT IS TEACHER TRAINING PROGRAM (TTP)?
All Resident Teachers of Kadampa Buddhist Centers follow this in-depth program of study and practice.
There are twelve subjects/books that we study in this program
The program comprises the following twelve subjects, based on Buddha’s Sutra and Tantra teachings and the corresponding commentaries by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
1. The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
2. Training the Mind, based on the commentaries Universal Compassion and The New Eight Steps to Happiness
3. The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary The New Heart of Wisdom
4. Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
5. Types of Mind, based on the commentary How to Understand the Mind
6. Guide to the Middle Way, based on the commentary Ocean of Nectar
7. Vajrayana Mahamudra, based on the commentary Clear Light of Bliss
8. The Bodhisattva’s Moral Discipline, based on the commentary The Bodhisattva Vow
9. Offering to the Spiritual Guide, based on the commentaries Great Treasury of Merit and Mahamudra Tantra
10. Vajrayogini Tantra, based on the commentary The New Guide to Dakini Land
11. Grounds and Paths of Secret Mantra, based on the commentary Tantric Grounds and Paths
12. The Practice of Heruka Body Mandala, based on the commentary The New Essence of Vajrayana
ABOUT THE TEXT:
Universal Compassion by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
The heart of Buddha’s teachings is unconditional love and compassion. In this inspiring explanation of the popular Buddhist poem Training the Mind in Seven Points, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso reveals powerful and far-reaching methods for us to develop these altruistic states. Ancient meditative techniques that have been tried and tested for centuries are brought alive and made relevant to our everyday experiences. Also included is a practical explanation of how we can transform our day-to-day problems—even the most demanding and difficult conditions—into opportunities for personal and spiritual development. By pointing the way to an unchanging freedom and happiness, this immensely readable book challenges us to grow, and will have a remarkable impact on our life.
Class meets weekly, Mondays, 6:00–9:00PM, in-person at Kadampa Meditation Center, New Mexico. The cost is $75/month which includes Teacher Training Program, Preliminary Retreats, and General Program classes (weekly drop-in meditation). This program is offered as a correspondence course for those living far from the center. Contact the Education Program Coordinator for more information. ([email protected])
ABOUT THE TEACHER
Gen Kelsang Khyenwang is the Resident Teacher of Kadampa Meditation Center New Mexico. She is a close disciple and student of Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and has been practicing and teaching under his guidance for many years. The teachings she shares are clear, heartfelt and extremely practical for modern life. Gen Khyenwang is an inspiring example of a contemporary Buddhist practitioner and is known for her warmth and sincerity, putting time-tested teachings into practice in daily life.